Sunday, September 20, 2015

Review: Prodigy by Marie Lu (Legend #2)

I am absolutely delighted to have found a series that enraptures me so thoroughly. Usually, I find myself loving the first book in a series and either feeling indifference or disdain for the latter books, but Prodigy has thoroughly proven that this will not be the case for the Legend series.

I will admit that the story did start off a little slow for me. It shouldn't have, considering it picks right back up where Legend ends, but I guess there's always that awkward phase before a book truly blooms into itself. It doesn't take long to do that, to turn into something wonderful that is LIKE Legend but is also just like itself.

In the beginning, June and Day have traveled a long way in search of the Patriots. Day's leg was brutally wounded in Legend and they are now desperately seeking out medical help, even though they have no means of paying. Turns out, the Patriots' preferred method of payment is for both June and Day to aide in the assassination of the new Elector, The Republic's supreme leader.

June's job is to win him over, to use his obvious attraction to her as a strength and to lead him right into the Patriots' trap. Day's job is to act as a social icon, to grow in fame and seek out the public's support for the Patriots' cause. Throughout all this, both characters are exposed to a great deal of danger and are lead to ask questions concerning right and wrong, innocence and guilt, truth and lies.

That's one of the things I love about this book: the shadowy gray area that neither corroborates nor condemns any one character or movement. You think you know whom to trust, you think you know what is going to be right, but you can never truly follow your instincts in this one. I made my own assumptions, but I didn't prove or disprove them until the very end. And perhaps I still haven't, seeing how the story continues in Champion.  

The main characters themselves also live in the gray area, even as they gain so much depth throughout Prodigy. I loved both June and Day in Legend, but here they feel like such real, rounded out people with equal parts hope and fear, equal parts benevolence and resentment. Perhaps the reason they achieve that depth is because of the decisions they are forced to make throughout the story. They continue to show their true colors under pressure, such as June's refusal to go against her convictions and Day's refusal to go against June.

Can I just say that this is a great love story? The problem with love stories is that they are usually so overdone or so over the top, but this isn't the case here at all. Perhaps I'm too in love with this world to speak about it rationally, but I found myself rooting for the two of them, cheering them on, and then dying inside when they couldn't be together, and further on hating Tess for her part in taking Day away from June.

Literally, my only problem with the June and Day dynamic is that they feel so much older than fifteen. But then, I guess that's why he's a legend and she's a prodigy...

All the other characters are well rounded too. I disliked Tess, but that's only because of her attempts to seduce Day. I did not, however, dislike Anden, despite his obvious attraction to June. He is rather admirable (at least at this point) for his ambitions to turn his country around even though it is the opposite of what his politicians want.

That's another thing I like about this novel: how political it is. At least it seems political for YA. The fact that the present politics are so well thought out and mentioned consistently leads me to the conclusion that this is a good dystopia. Seriously, I oftentimes dislike when dystopias try to explain away how the world came to be in it sorry state. If it's going to be a poor explanation, I'd prefer there be no explanation at all and to let me just enjoy the world as it is. There were moments early on in Prodigy where I was dreading the upcoming explanations, particularly when they talked about the technological advancements of Antarctica.

But it turns out this world was very well planned-politics, history, and culture all included. Marie Lu definitely doesn't launch into heavy explanations, but she presents her world with such consistency that you really wouldn't dare to question it.

No comments:

Post a Comment